Senior Research Chemist
- Cutting-edge research and development for specialty chemicals
- Work for a world class company
- Based in Southern California
- Competitive salary and benefits
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Our focus is on finding, mining and processing the earth's mineral resources in order to maximize value for our shareholders. Everything we do is done with the future firmly in mind, so our employees are rewarded with opportunity, an open and diverse culture and a responsible working environment in which they can go further.
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion.
We are looking for a Senior Research Chemist to engage in project planning and management, analysis of technical and market data, coordination of inter-departmental project activities, design and execution of laboratory and scale-up experiments and support for plant trials and technical services.
What the role entails
This role is a great opportunity to manage non-routine activities having high levels of complexity in support of new product and new application projects. You will:
- Fully support the health, safety and environmental programs by participating in compliance and corporate programs.
- Initiate, coordinate and/or lead new application and/or new product development projects including collaborations with external partners, such as academic groups, national lab and contract testing labs.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments in support of new and existing product and application initiatives.
- Oversee laboratory analytical services as a technical advisor and/or hands-on experimentalist. This may include methods development, customer visits and support for customer plant trials.
What you will need for this role
Advanced knowledge of chemistry is required through graduate degree program and additional job specific study and direct job experience.
Leadership skills are necessary for directing others
Strong mathematical skills are needed for project-related calculations.
Analytical and statistical skills are needed for data analysis and determination of data significance.
Computer skills are required to manage and analyze data and to produce project reports, communications and presentation materials.
Self-motivation is necessary for independent work, ensuring that work progresses in a timely manner without supervision.
Organizational skills are necessary for directing others and coordinating workflow and project activities.
Interpersonal skills are necessary in order to work with staff members of other departments and locations without major conflicts.
Administrative skills are required to document data and activities.
Planning skills are needed for directing others, setting goals, and coordinating project activities
Training and team building skills are necessary to work with other R&D staff as well as other company departments.
Communications skills needed to explain project plans and results and to coordinated project activities.
Presentation skills are required to communicate project concepts and results to internal and external customers.
PhD in Inorganic Chemistry
So if you are looking for a new challenge, great location and an exceptional team of technical experts, apply now.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
If you would like to know more about careers at Rio Tinto, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join us on LinkedIn.Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V Rio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Please visit http://www.uscis.gov/ for more information.